Перейти к публикации
Error404

new international clan recruiting

Рекомендованные сообщения

Hello people we created a new clan so we gather all english people to one clan! We are few in this server so at least lets be all together! for invite pm Mrskakai,Ricorina or endlessfacepalms

Text from "The minimalist Program" author Taejum Shin

Why aspiration matters

Schiller said that “mankind is made to be great or little by its own will”. Although the quote is popular, I couldn’t really fathom what the greatest poet of the time meant to tell us. Now I think I got some clue and would like to write something about it.

I believe best leaders of the society should not only have high intellectual (in broadest sense) capability but also think so big that sometimes they may seem to be Don Quixote. The person would be like Plato’s “philosopher king”, and those people did exist in the human history – from religious leaders in the ancient time to M.K. Gandhi in 20th century.

However, as people get smarter, they tend to think small, because, in my opinion, they can foresee the future to the greater extent and become risk-averse due to the visible consequences. If you look at herding behaviors of top school students, MBA graduates or those working for high-paying jobs, I believe you’ll agree with me.

Some people may oppose me by showing “evidence” that many best & brightest students go for start-ups, but I think starting their own business does not necessarily mean that they’re risk taker, because (1) many of them can come back to the high-paying jobs if they want (especially if they’re from a wealthy family, the risk is lower) and/or (2) in some societies there’s a peer pressure to start companies by their own if they’re in good schools. To be clear, I am not criticizing anything – This is just an observation.

On the other hand, there’re some people who seem to think big. However, many of the “visionaries” in fact just think shallow, having huge potential risk of making big mistakes. Some people are successful thanks to sheer luck, and the fortune of those people may be misleading the other people.

I think that when Schiller made the quote, he might have thought about how we can overcome the seeming incompatibility between smartness and being visionary: it is aspiration that makes two contradictive qualities compatible. Thanks to the ambition, they don’t become to think small even if they can foresee future risks of their endeavors and also will never be satisfied with the status quo, trying to advance the world by leaving a comfortable zone that they’re entitled to and diving into the sea of uncertainty. The people with high aspiration also will always try hard to improve their capability to achieve the goal.

Bump

• 2 недели спустя...
  • 4 недели спустя...

Присоединяйтесь к обсуждению

Вы можете опубликовать сообщение сейчас, а зарегистрироваться позже. Если у вас есть аккаунт, войдите в него для написания от своего имени.
Примечание: вашему сообщению потребуется утверждение модератора, прежде чем оно станет доступным.

Гость
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Ответить в тему...

×   Вставлено в виде отформатированного текста.   Вставить в виде обычного текста

Разрешено не более 75 эмодзи.

×   Ваша ссылка была автоматически встроена.   Отобразить как ссылку

×   Ваш предыдущий контент был восстановлен.   Очистить редактор

×   Вы не можете вставить изображения напрямую. Загрузите или вставьте изображения по ссылке.

• Сейчас на странице   0 пользователей

• Нет пользователей, просматривающих эту страницу.
  • Создать...